Alright, so if you’re reading this, you’ve probably read some popular articles by some others (maybe major news sources) and didn’t get far. Getting Fortnite crossplay between PC & Xbox wasn’t that straightforward (at least for me), but in the end, works great. I’m trying not to do what the other articles did, and provide long, unhelpful paragraphs, so let’s get right to it. Below is what worked for me:
- I’m assuming you’re already playing Fortnite on the Xbox. You need to link your Xbox account to an Epic Games account. Do this by opening the browser (Edge) on the Xbox. Visit https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite. In the top-right, click the person icon, click Xbox.
- After clicking the Xbox button on the people menu, create a new account w/ an email address & password. (I couldn’t find an easy way to link an existing Epic account, so I just created a new one). Now you have an Epic games account linked to an Xbox live account.
- On a PC (or Mac) download the Epic Games Launcher. You can use the same PC that has a different account playing Fortnite already.
- On the PC in Epic games login to the account used to play on PC and send a friend request to the username of the Xbox user.
- Again on the PC, login into Epic games (you’ll need to logout of the PC user) and login as the Xbox account you created in step 2.
- Since you’re logged into the Xbox account (on PC) you can accept the friend request that was sent in step 4.
- You can now logout on the PC and login to a PC playing account (if you have one).
- On the Xbox, start a new party, on PC, your friends (that you accepted in step 6) can choose to play with you.
- And now win.
- Note: the first time you play w/ someone on PC via Xbox, you’ll be asked to confirm that crossplay is okay. Make sure you accept this.
Hope this helps someone out there.
Crossplay is pretty seamless, voice chat works – and now you’ve got more folks to help you win!